Monday, November 3, 2008

My Poem "Mail"

I sent a poem to Stories for Children Magazine called "Mail" back in September and received a notice saying that I had passed phase one of the submission process. A week or so later, I got another email about phase two. I was asked to do a rewrite of the poem. I needed to sub out 2 lines and change the rhyming pattern a bit. I was very happy that I was given this opportunity! I mean, so many editors would have just said "not what we're looking for" and sent me a great big "Not for us, sorry" email. But not SFC! I was able to complete the rewrite in the same day (lucky for me I had 3 or 4 other versions of that particular poem so it was easy to revise) and got it right back to the managing editor at SFC. I was happy to get a follow-up email from her saying that she LOVED the rewrite! Love is a pretty strong word, and boy was I happy to hear it! I was able to do a formal resubmission to her directly and was moved on to phase 3 of the approval process. I just love the people at SFC. They are kind, helpful, and very knowledgeable. I hope to one day be able to say that I am a writer by trade (meaning that I can actually get paid for it!LOL) but I think I will always write for the good people at SFC, pay or no pay! They have done so much for my confidence as a new writer and have always had a quick acceptance time and great feedback. I recommend them to any writers or illustrators, newbie and pros alike!

No comments: