Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back in the swing

Hard to believe that it has been over a year since I have posted here! Life sometimes gets away from me it seems. Now that we have finalized our adoption of our daughter, school is out for the summer, and I have a new Wacom Intous4 due to arrive at my house next week, I will be posting much more often.

Writing:
I have not written any new picture books lately, but I have really been on a poetry kick! When I get back in town on Friday I am going to start getting poems ready to go. I have a couple to submit to Stories for Children magazine, which is my default :) Everyone is just so nice there and the amount of feedback is amazing!! You just can't help but love them all over!! I also have a poem that I am sending off to Highlights Magazine. I have the cover letter ready and I think it is a good fit. I wanted to research some additional magazines that take poetry, since that is my first love, to get some creds other that SFC.

I am also planning on submitting "Hotdog Dog" for the Wik'11 conference picture book contest in Alabama this year. I have to have it in their hands by June 30th. They also have a poetry contest, so I thought I might jump on that wagon too! I have to go through all my poetry and see what I think is contest worthy.

Illustration:
Well, WiK'11 has a contest for that too. The theme is "PJ tugged open the..." As you can see in older posts, I did the one for a couple of years back and didn't get it mailed off in time. The theme for that one was "PJ reached in and pull out..." I wish that I would have gotten that one submitted. Not that I thought it would win, but more valuable than that is the critique you get from the judges!! There is some amazing talent there and it is awesome to get feedback from them. That is worth it's weight in gold!!

So my idea for PJ is that he will tug open a hatch and set some fairies free. That is my general idea for now. Not sure if I will thing of something different before then.

The most exciting news is the arrival of my Wacom Intous4!! Scheduled to arrive between between June 16 and June 21st. Talk about inspiration!! Whoo hooo!! I am so very excited!!

Well, wish me luck and I will keep you posted on all that comes of my submissions and new toys.

No comments: